Alkaline Peptone Water is an enrichment liquid medium which is recommended for the enrichment of clinical materials containing small numbers of Vibrio species prior to plating onto a selective medium, such as TCBS Agar.It is a modification of peptone water with an adjusted of pH 8.4.This alkaline pH of the medium allows the growth of Vibrio species while inhibiting the growth of commensal intestinal bacteria.
Where can I buy these Media
- You can get 10 plates of already prepared TCBS Agar at Hardy Diagnostic
- You can also buy 100g Dehydrated TCBS powder at HiMedia Laboratories
- Buy (500g) Alkaline Peptone Water Dehydrated Culture Media at HiMedia
Principle of Alkaline Peptone Water
- Sodium chloride facilitates the growth of Vibrio species and maintains osmotic equilibrium.
- The alkalinity of this medium inhibits many commensal intestinal bacteria.
- Peptone provides nitrogen and carbon source, long chain amino acids, vitamins and other essential nutrients that enriches growth
Composition of the Medium
|see Ingredients||Grams / Litres|
|Sodium chloride||10.000 g|
|Distilled water||1000.0 ml|
|Final pH at temperature 25°C||8.4±0.2|
How to Prepare Alkaline Peptone Water
- Start by suspending 20.0 grams in 1000 ml distilled water.
- Then heat if necessary in order to completely dissolve the medium
- Now dispense in tubes and sterilize the medium by autoclaving at 15 lbs pressure (121°C) for 15 minutes.
Appearance of Medium after preparation
It appears light yellow coloured clear solution without any precipitate
Type of Inoculums
- Food samples
- Water samples
Procedure for Inoculation
- Inoculate the suspected specimen as soon as possible after it is received in the laboratory
- Pick the specimen using a swab or loop and Immerse the swab in Alkaline Peptone Water
- Incubate aerobically at temperature between 33-37°C for 6-8 hours.
- Now subculture on a selective growth media for vibrio species like click here TCBS Agar
- Incubate subculture plate aerobically at temperature 33-37°C.
- Examine plate from subculture for typical colony morphology.
Cultural Response on Alkaline peptone water
This cultural characteristics are observed after an incubation at 35-37°C for 18-24 hours aerobically
|go to link Organism||Growth|
|source Vibrio parahaemolyticus||luxuriant|
For Cultural Response on TCBS Agar please refer to Thiosulfate Citrate Bile Sucrose Agar ideal for vibrio species
- Shread, P., T.J. Donovan, and J.V. Lee. 1981. Soc. Gen. Microbiol. Q. 8:184.
- Cruickshank, R. 1968. Medical Microbiology. 11th ed. Livingstone LTD, London, UK.
- Lesmana, M., E. Richie, D. Subekti, C. Simanjuntak, and S.E. Walz. 1997. J. Clin. Microbiol. 35:1856-1858.
- MacFaddin, J.F. 1985. Media for Isolation-Cultivation-Identification-Maintenance of Medical Bacteria. Vol. 1. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD
- Thiosulfate Citrate Bile Sucrose Agar ideal for vibrio species
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!